Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It's Dry

In case you haven't noticed, it's dry.  Really dry.

Rains that leave 1-2" just miles from us, don't give us a drop.  

At this very moment I'm checking the radar and the forecast.  There's a cell that could come this way and we've got a 50% chance of rain tonight.

But I've heard this all before.  We remember what it looks like.


Still the ground begs for relief, for comfort, for nourishment.

And so do the farmers.

We're hitting the home stretch of summer here on our farm.  The time where we've still got so much to do, but we've had so much to do for such a long time now.  We're tired.

Literally and figuratively, we need a rest.  The rest only a two-day rain can provide.  The kind where we hurry to do chores in the rain and come back inside because all the things we should be doing, we can't because it's raining.

Even as a child, I remember Dad calling down our basement steps to turn off our alarms and sleep in a bit.  It was raining.  Snuggling into my covers never felt so good.

Rain days don't just nourish the soil, they nourish the farmers.

The old adage "Make hay while the sun shines" is true on the farm.  You never stop moving and doing until something stops you...like rain.

It's not just the ground that's dry, our souls are dry.  We're tired, calloused, hot, sweaty, sore...

I'm looking to the heavens for my bucket to be filled.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Annie, it's Kandy. I really like today's post. I loved the part about sleeping in because your dad said it was raining. One day, you willing, little Anya and I would like to visit. She is 2.5 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Psalm 63 & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igAXeSGofE. Love you. (Becky C)

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment, thank you for sharing in our farm!